7/11/2010

I'm MELTING !!! July 10, 2010

Do you know how to say 蒸し暑い in English?  Humid, muggy, terrible!

Wow, these days it is really starting to get hot! I think I'm starting to melt! But, you know what they say...it's not the heat, it's the humidty!
Many people often ask me what the weather is like in my country.  When I tell them that I am from Florida, they tend to think that it is always warm because they imagine lots of sunshine, oranges, palm trees, but that is not the case.  Florida is a very large state, and the temperature varies from the northern part of the state to the southern part of the state. Near Miami, the temperature is warm year-round, but since my hometown is in the northern part of Florida, it does get a little cold. July is the hottest month, with temperatures averaging about 33 degrees celsius, and January is the coldest month when it gets down to about 6 degrees celsius. It is also very humid, much like Japan.  However, I think Americans like to be cooler and always set their air-conditioner to a lower temperature than in Japan.  I remember whenever I would go to the movie theater in the summer, I would have to take a jacket because it was so cold!  No COOL BIZ in America! For me, I like the way the air-conditioners are set in Japan because I think it is easier for my body to get used to, and it is more comfortable. I don't like the cold. I don't like it in the winter, and I don't like it in the summer either!  So please help save the environment and don't make it so cold inside! I know it's hot, but it is supposed to be hot; it is the summer!
  Today's phrase of the day is "Crank up the AC".  It means to turn lower the temperature and increase the power from weak to strong. Crank up means to increase, or turn up.  It can also be used different ways such as "Crank up the music", or in the winter, "Crank up the heat".  There are a couple of different ways to say air-conditioner in English; usually AC, or air, but we never, ever say AIR-CONE.
  So, that's all of my blog for today.  Thanks for checking it out and let me know if there's anything you want me to talk about, or if you have any questions about English.  Be cool; catch ya later gaters!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿